Eating for weight-loss doesn’t have to be boring! For most people struggling with their weight, the main problem is too much sugar & refined carbohydrates. It’s pretty easy to dump the carbs and still have satisfying & healthy food – and this recipe should help.
Use organic chicken if possible – you’ll be using a better quality product. Rub chicken breasts or thighs with the spice of your choice:
- Salt & freshly milled black pepper
- Curry powder
- Wholegrain mustard
- Cumin & coriander
- Marinate in natural yoghurt + cumin & coriander
- Marinate in BBQ paste: tomato puree, soy sauce, cumin & chopped garlic
Drizzle with a little olive oil & roast at Gas Mark 6 (200 deg C, 400 deg F) for 30 minutes.
Roast some vegetables with your chicken – simply drizzle olive oil over your veggies and roast. You can buy packs of frozen oven-ready vegetables, which require minimal preparation, but it’s cheaper to use fresh root vegetables such as carrots & parsnips. Try roasting garlic cloves in their papery skins – when they are done, squeeze out on your meal. Delicious! Other convenient vegetables include frozen peas (cook on the hob), broccoli & cauliflower. Packs of stir fry veg are usually found with the salads in the supermarket – cook in the frying pan with some olive oil and some low-salt soy sauce.
Serve your roast chicken with some salad & vegetables. Aim to fill at least half your plate with vegetables – remember that eating more veggies can help you to control your weight.
Refrigerate surplus chicken and shred it into salad for an excellent lunch option. It might even be an idea to cook enough chicken for your evening meal plus your lunch for the following day.
Alternative Meat Options
You can vary this recipe by substituting beef or salmon instead of chicken – just cook the meat/fish as instructed on the pack. Salmon is an excellent protein source, and can be cooked from frozen. When cooking beef, you can grill or fry the meat.
- Gammon steaks in individual packs can be grilled or fried – see pack for cooking instructions.
- Steak grilled or fried – see pack for cooking instructions. Cook extra for lunch – keep in fridge overnight, shred into salad next day.
- Salmon steaks cooked from frozen drizzle with olive oil squeeze lemon juice over them bake in oven for 20 minutes at gas mark 6.